The TACIT Trial: TAi ChI for people with demenTia
We are a team of researchers led by Dr Samuel Nyman at Bournemouth University and we are interested in improving the health and wellbeing of people with dementia.
The ancient form of gentle exercise known as Tai Chi might be a good way to improve a person’s health and wellbeing. Can Tai Chi improve people with dementia’s health and wellbeing? We really don’t know and we want to perform a study to find out. We started with a small-scale study and now are open for a bigger study!
We are currently seeking volunteers for our large-scale study that is up and running!
We will need up to 150 people with dementia together with their informal carer to take part in our study as a pair.
Each pair will take part for 6 months:
• They will first receive a home visit by a member of the team to do some assessments and check they can take part.
• Then, each pair will be randomised to one of two groups:
- One group will continue as normal
- One group will receive Tai Chi for up to 20 weeks
• Those in the Tai Chi group will attend a class once a week and practice Tai Chi at home, with the help of a qualified Tai Chi instructor.
• Both groups will receive regular telephone calls from a researcher during the study and return a monthly calendar.
• Both groups will receive another home visit to repeat the assessments done at the beginning, six months later.
Both groups are very important for the study.
Where are the classes?
We plan to hold classes in the following areas. If you live too far from these areas but within Dorset / Southampton / Portsmouth then do get in touch as we may be able to hold a class nearer to you.
We plan to run a class in Christchurch on a Thursday morning at Druitt Hall, High Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AB.
We plan to run a class in Poole on a Wednesday morning at Moose Hall, Joliffe Road, Oakdale, Poole, BH15 2HB.
We plan to run a class in Ferndown on a Wednesday afternoon at Ferndown Leisure Centre, Cherry Grove, Ferndown, BH22 9EZ.
We plan to run a class in Dorchester on a Thursday afternoon at Charlton Down Village Hall, Sherren Ave, Charlton Down, Dorchester DT2 9UA.
We plan to run a class in Romsey on a Monday morning at Crosfield Hall, Broadwater Road, Romsey, SO51 8GL.
We plan to run a class in Eastleigh on a Friday morning at The Hub, Bishopstoke Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 6LA.
We plan to run a class in Portsmouth on a Wednesday morning at Fratton Community Centre, Trafalgar Place, Fratton, Hampshire, PO1 5JJ.
We also plan to run a class in Portsmouth on a Wednesday afternoon at Pompey in the Community, Anson Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO4 8TB.
For more information
Please contact Yolanda Barrado-Martín on telephone: 07801 890258 or Email: email@example.com.
Or call Michelle O’Brien on telephone: 01202 962771.
Click here to download a copy of our flyer
This project is funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) (www.nihr.ac.uk), through a Career Development Fellowship awarded to Dr Samuel Nyman.