Researcher: M. Nazmul Huda
M. Nazmul Huda received his BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh in 2008 and MRes in Computing Science from Staffordshire University, UK in 2011. He is currently a PhD student in Robotics at Bournemouth University, UK. He worked as a lecturer in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST) in Bangladesh. His research interests include robotics for medical applications, micro and nano robotics, control systems etc. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Traditional open surgery requires a large opening, which causes additional injury while gaining access to the surgical region. Thus laparoscopy, a minimally invasive surgery, performed with long tools inserted through small incisions, has become the choice of interventions for many commonly performed open surgeries.
A new approach to laparoscopy involves inserting a miniature surgery robot entirely into the patient. This research aims to design, model and control a novel hybrid propulsion system for in-vivo inspections and surgical assistance.
As a part of the project a 1D (one dimensional) capsubot (capsule robot) and a 2D (two dimensional) capsubot are designed and implemented. Two novel acceleration profiles are proposed for the inner mass (internal moving part) of the capsubot and implemented in the developed capsubots. A significant feature of the capsubot is that it has no external moving parts (i.e. legless, wheel-less, and trackless) whereas a conventional robot has legs, tracks and/or wheels. Thus the capsubot is hermetically sealable and suitable for in-vivo use.
A 2D hybrid robot with two motion modes: capsubot motion mode and legged motion mode is also designed. It combines the best aspects of capsule and legged robots.
- Surgical assistant: Vision assistant in laparoscopy
- Medical inspection: Capsule endoscopy
- Drug delivery
- Engineering diagnosis
- Underground pipe inspection
H. Yu, M. N. Huda, Yang Liu and S. O.Wane, “An Active Capsule Robot with a Hybrid Propulsion Mechanism” GB Patent 2,497,544
- M. N. Huda, H. Yu, and S. O. Wane,”Self-contained capsubot propulsion mechanism,” International Journal of Automation and Computing, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 348-356, 2011.
- M. N. Huda, H. Yu and M. J. Goodwin “Experimental Study of a Capsubot for Two Dimensional Movements” 2012 UKACC International Conference on Control, 2012, pp. 108-113, IEEE (Best student paper award)
- H. Yu, M. N. Huda and S. O. Wane “A novel acceleration profile for the motion control of capsubot”, 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2011, pp. 2437-2442.
- M. N. Huda and H. Yu, ”Modeling and motion control of a novel double parallel mass capsubot,” in 18th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC), 2011, pp. 8120-8125.