Our research themes reflect the board areas of creative digital technology in which we have particular strengths and interests. We investigate fundamental technologies that underpin augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR) and digital games by developing novel algorithms and applications. Our research activities are interdisciplinary which touch upon computer science, human-computer interactions and creative art computing. We develop games, creative digital media, practice-based outputs and use these as powerful tools to tackle major societal challenges.
Research Projects (Ongoing)
- H2020-MSCA-RISE-2018: Game Toolkit for e-Health and m-Health Products (iGame), €837,000, 01/01/2019 -31/12/2022. The centre coordinates and leads a consortium of 6 international partners. PI Professor Wen Tang.
- Interreg 2 Seas Mers Zeeen PATH:PATHways to improving perinatal mental health, over €5 million of European funding to this €8.5 million partnership. 01/03/2019 – 28/02/2023. The Health and Europe Centre leads the project. The Centre receives over €450,000 to develop innovative digital technology using wearable computing and games for PATH. PI Professor Wen Tang
- Innovate UK KTP: Virtual Reality Exercise Application for Personal Healthcare, £138,356 01/12/2018 – 31/07/2020. PI Dr Christos Gatzidis
- Guide Dogs for the Blind Association: Improving orientation, mobility and wellbeing using assistive technology: literature review and the development of novel technologies. £40,065, 01/04/2018 – 07/11/2019 PI Dr Simant Prakoonwit
Research Projects (Past 3 years)
- European Commission H2020 MSCA IF -2017 : Artistic Animation Rendering with Stylization (Ani-Style), £161,404. PI Dr Feng Tian
- NHS Auto Camera Tracking System for Patient Homecare £2,000, 01/04/2017- 30/09/2017. PI Professor Wen Tang
- AHRC CORPUS, £4, 516 01/04/2018 – 31/12/2018. PI Dr Fred Charles
- Curamicus Ltd: Evaluate and analyze the data for the purpose of generating quantitative parameters relating to gait, balance and sway of the Wearers. £1708, 01/05/2018-31/07/2018. PI Dr Simant Prakoonwit
Matched-funded PhD Studentships (Past 2 years)
- 22 Matched-funded PhD Studentships have been awarded in the past 2 years in collaboration with and sponsorships from a wider range of academic institutions and industry partners. PIs: Professor Wen Tang, Dr Feng Tian, Dr Simant Prakoonwit, Dr Christos Gatzidis, Dr Fred Charles and Dr Charlie Hargood.
Smart VR, AR and Games Technology (Algorithms, Systems and Applications)
Research projects deal with fundamental issues of visual computing algorithms, targeting real-time performances with respect to computational complexity, realism, accuracy and control-ability in interactive digital content creation. Research topics are ranging from real-time physics simulation, non-photo realistic rendering, weathering simulation to medical simulation, as well as image processing and augmented reality applications.
Game Design Theory and Practice
Since the earliest civilization of human history, people socialize and learn through gameplay. Research focuses on game design theory and practices with strong emphases on technological implementations and evaluations. Research topics include, but not limited to:
- Games Design Theory and Experimentation
- Software Engineering in Games Development
- Gaming Device Design and Testing
BU GamesLab is a bespoke game analytic platform specifically designed for AR, VR and digital games research and development.
Digital Music Instruments and Music Compositions
These research projects are interdisciplinary in nature crossing boundaries of performance, improvisation, composition, technology and science. Current research projects include:
- Technologically mediated performance
- Acousmatic Composition
- Arts science collaborations exploring intersections between immunology and creative practice.
- Inclusive music making through enabling technologies.